During the 17th century, the estate stretched on more than 550 hectares (1300 acres). It belonged to the monks of Saint Jean and housed sheepfolds known as “La Métairie de Caudéran”.
During the 19th century Monsieur Mathieu SEURIN, who was a ship-owner, bought the estate. Towards 1870, he bestowed on the property a fine château, stables, an aviary, and a pigeon house. When he died in 1890 – under the rule of the Pope Leon XIII – his wife erected a chapel, dedicating it to Saint Mathieu in his honour.
Château Léognan changed owner during those years. Monsieur Jean Marie DUBOS, of the renowned ‘DUBOS Frères’ wine merchants, became the new owner. He extended the Château with a gallery supported by four columns, and created a pond and a pen for fallow deer.